NeuroStar TMS Therapy is a new treatment cleared by the US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) for patients suffering from depression, who have not achieved satisfactory improvement from prior antidepressant treatment. TMS stands for transcrainal magnetic stimulation. TMS Therapy is a treatment that can be performed in a psychiatrists office , under his or her supervision, using a medical device called the NeuroStar TMS Therapy system.
If TMS is the right treatment for you, treatment sessions can be scheduled to begin immediately. At the first treatment appointment we will determine the optimal placement and strength of the magnetic field. Each subsequent treatment will last 37 minutes during which you will be awake and alert. The magnetic pulses make a loud clicking sound and feel like a tapping on the scalp but do not result in more than mild discomfort. If you wish, you can watch television or listen to music during the TMS session.
After the treatment you can drive and resume your normal activity. TMS is non-invasive, meaning it does not involve surgery, and has no systemic effects. Typical TMS side effects are transient and mild irritation or discomfort at the treatment site and headache.
A usual course of treatment for depression involves sessions 5 days a week for 4 to 6 weeks, although this can vary depending on your response. As you progress through your treatment, we will regularly assess with you your status and determine with you the eventual number of treatments.
Transcranial Magnetic Stimulation (TMS) has been featured in several prominent news publications highlighting its success in treating depression. Among these publications and television shows are:Dr. Oz,The Daily Buzz,TIME Magazine,Scientific American,Discover Magazine,The Doctors, andGood Housekeeping. See below for more news stories discussing the latest applications of TMS Therapy.
- 10/17/2016 https://neurostar.com/redirect.php?url=http://www.nbcdfw.com/news/health/Providing-Hope-for-People-with-Depression-397297441.html
- 10/14/2016 https://neurostar.com/redirect.php?url=http://wset.com/news/nation-world/unique-treatment-offers-hope-to-those-struggling-with-depression
- 10/13/2016 https://neurostar.com/redirect.php?url=http://abc6onyourside.com/news/local/family-411-unique-treatment-for-when-medications-for-depression-dont-work
- 10/07/2016 https://neurostar.com/redirect.php?url=http://psychcentral.com/blog/archives/2016/10/07/marthas-story-tms-offers-alternative-to-medication-electroconvulsive-therapy/
- 2/20/201510News: Drug-free depression treatment available
- 2/16/2015WBNS: Battling Depression Growing Problem For Women
- 2/3/2015Democrat: Magnetic therapy dispelling patients depression
- 1/19/2015WNYT: Procedure uses magnetic stimulation to help with depression
For more news articles featuring TMS, please see NeuroStarsPress Coverage page.